Wednesday 22 July 2015

LAST MINUTE STUFF

I have various lists which help ensure that I don't forget things when I go on a trek, but there are always a few adjustments to be made to them, depending upon the terrain and weather conditions I expect to encounter.

For instance, I may be pitching my tent on rocky ground, so rather than bend my tent pegs I have bought some galvanised masonry nails to hammer in, and made a tool to pull them out again.

Unfortunately, a check on the weather forecast indicates that I will be encountering a fair bit of rain and the temperature is going to hover somewhere below 10 degrees centigrade. Obviously I will be taking full waterproofs, but I have also taken two sleeping bags. I have a lightweight down bag, but it may not be adequate to ensure comfort at the expected low temperatures. Thus I am also taking a lightweight synthetic bag large enough to slip over the down bag. Not only will this improve overnight comfort but it will also ensure I have a back-up in case the down bag gets wet (which causes it to lose its insulating properties). Since there will be 24 hour daylight I have also packed an eye mask to help me sleep.

Hiking the Laugavegur and Fimmvorduhals Trails will involve crossing several unbridged rivers with water which may be more than knee deep. Thus, another potential problem arising from rain is that river water levels may be higher than usual. I will remove my hiking boots and wear plastic sandals for the crossings, and use trekking poles to stabilise myself, but there is always the possibility that I may consider it too dangerous to cross and have to wait or turn back.

I have acquired the best map I can for the trail, but it is woefully poor in comparison the OS maps that cover all of the UK. I am expecting some sort of signage on the route, so this may not be a problem, but I might need to use a compass for reassurance from time to time. However, whereas in the UK a compass needle points more-or-less north, in Iceland it will point significantly west of north (known as the magnetic declination). So that I can account for this when navigating I prepared the following map which shows the magnetic declination over the whole of Iceland.
For the Laugavegur and Fimmvorduhals Trails it will be about 13 degrees to the west.

Anyway, my rucksack is now packed and is happily lighter than I expected - 13.5kg, roughly 30 lb - and that includes enough water and food for 3 days. I must have learned a few things since my first major trek when my rucksack weighed a back-breaking 20kg or more with food and water.

Time to get some sleep now as it is nearly midnight and I depart tomorrow.