Thursday 9 July 2015

DEPARTURE IMMINENT

At last I have got this Blog started!

I spent the end of last year and the start of this planning what I would do in Iceland, and finally booked my flights in February. There was lots of stuff to research, so the whole itinerary has been quite carefully planned. Accommodation has been booked where required and car hire arranged, so the trip is pretty-well scheduled on a day-today basis. Essentially, I will spend a week walking the Laugavegur and Fimmvorduhal hiking trails, then another week exploring the Westfjords and the north of Iceland by car. So, that'll keep me busy between the 23rd of July and the 10th of August.

By contrast, my visit to Corsica from the 6th to the 27th of September is much more ad-hoc in terms of schedule. All I have booked is the flights between Gatwick and Bastia-Poretta airports. Somewhere between my arrival and departure I expect to traverse, on foot, over the mountains, from the north to the south of the island, following a 112 mile route which has been designated the GR20. To get to and from Bastia-Poretta airport and the trail ends I may end up hitch-hiking.

The inspiration for the Iceland trip was Julia Bradbury's BBC documentary first shown a 2011.


As for my GR20 adventure, this is simply reputed to be the toughest long distance trail in Europe, so I felt I just had to do it (see GR20). Besides, I might need warming up in sunnier climes following my Iceland trip.

Both trips will be real adventures and I am really looking forward to them. I guess I'd better start loading the rucksack!