Friday 24 July 2015

HAPPY LANDINGS

GATWICK AIRPORT - DEPARTURE IMMINENT
BSI BUS TERMINAL IN REYJAVIK
THE BUS HOSTEL - NICE PLACE
My rail journey to Gatwick Airport was uneventful although the plane took off an hour late for the 3 hour flight because of a baggage mix-up. It was about 7.20pm local time when we landed at Iceland's Kevlavik Airport.

On the approach to the runway the ground appeared to be parched brown, cratered and cracked - almost lunar - with isolated hills, like nasty boils, poking through it. Once on the runway the immediate surroundings were green with heather, and quite flat. This is obviously why they built the airport here because I could see high mountains to the east.

The sun was low but very bright and warm, a pleasant surprise in the evening. After collecting my luggage I exited the airport and boarded the Flybus which would take me to my accommodation, located close to the Bus Terminal in Reykjavik and named 'Bus Hostel. Not very creative, but I guess it would be hard for jet-lagged visitors to end up going to the wrong place.

I am assigned a bunk in a 4-bed dorm and quickly locate the kitchen so I can cook supper. The hostel is clean and well organised, and seems to be occupied by young people from all over the world. Just after I had finished eating someone offered me a share of their own food as they had made too much. Too late, of course, and a pity since their food looked better than mine!

After a long and exhausting day it was back to the dorm where I slept peacefully in my sleeping bag (you have to pay extra if you want sheets and a duvet). There were blackout curtains on the windows to block out the perpetual daylight present at this time of year.